Criminologist and Academic
Media and publications
Robyn Oxley is a Tharawal woman from South-West Sydney with family connections to Yorta Yorta from Echuca and Shepparton. Robyn is an activist and academic in the space of the criminal justice system and Aboriginal rights to self-determination. Her work is primarily focused on human rights, social justice and improving the outcomes of Aboriginal people in the criminal justice system.
Robyn is based at Monash University as a lecturer in Criminology. In 2018 she began her Masters by Research in Criminology, examining the difference between inclusion and self-determination of pre and post release support programs for Aboriginal people in Victoria. This has developed further to look at how New South Wales provides the Aboriginal community with the necessary tools, support and space to practice self-determination. Robyn’s research interests include Aboriginal affairs within the criminal justice system, self-determination, Aboriginal women's imprisonment and family violence prevention, prisons, and Victorian corrections.
- Master by Research, Criminology, Monash University (Due to complete April 2020)
- Bachelor of Arts, Honours (Criminology), Monash University
- Bachelor of Arts (Criminology and Indigenous Studies), Monash University
Area of Expertise
- Community services
- Mental health
- Family Violence
- Feminist Criminology
- Australia and New Zealand Society of Criminology (ANZSOC)
- American Society of Criminology (ASC)
- Graduate Women's Victoria (GWV)
- Southern Women's Action Network (SWAN)
Areas of current leadership enactment
- President of Monash Graduate Association (MGA)
- Research Student Representative, Graduate Research Committee, Monash University (GRC)
- Queer Officer of National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Association (NATSIPA)
- Parent representative on Coburg West Primary School Council
- Oxley, R. "Tanya Day inquest to investigate role of systemic racism in her death in custody", ABC Country Radio, Australia, 27 June 2019 (2019).Press/Media: Expert Comment.
- Oxley, R. "Victoria's high rate of Indigenous incarceration is a systemic problem", The Age and SMH, 31 May 2019. Press/Media: Expert Comment.
- Oxley, R. "Sovereignty and Self-determination", 3CR Radio, 1 January 2019. Press/Media: Expert Comment.
- Oxley, R. "The Black Agenda", National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU). 17 September 2018. Press/Media: Profile/Interview.
- Oxley, R. "Because of Her We Can – Feminist in the Pub", Trades Union, 7 October 2018. Press/Media: Expert Comment.
To get in contact and engage any of the Fellows, please contact the Alumni Manager (Indigenous Leadership) at the Melbourne Poche Centre for Indigenous Health on:
Phone: 03 9035 8185